Tuesday 2 February 2010

Central Park Photos

The day started with dropping off 47 rolls of Ilford FP4 at Chelsea Photo for processing. I have used them before and know them to be an excellent pro lab in New York.
They agreed to do within the day, a much improved service compared to the 6 days with the lab in Boulder. We will pick them up tomorrow morning.

The rest of the day was spent taking photos.

Started with the Chrysler Building. Long lens (150 mm) shots of the art deco top and gargoyles. Then while changing lens a policeman told me to stop using my tripod.
I switched to the wide angle (43 mm) lens and f5.6 gave me a shutter speed of 1/250 or 1/125 second. This let me hand hold the camera.
Found some different angles to those used previously and also repeated some shots since there was a clear blue sky above rather than the grey overcast one om prebious shots.

Then on to Central Park for several hours. Surprisingly, there was a large area of snow enclosed by crowd barriers. Walking around these gave me some wintry views of the buildings at the south end of the park.
There was also ice on some of the branches of the trees. I was moved on from here too, apparently the snow was for a special event on Saturday. There was no snow anywhere else in the park (or New York as far as we could see).

Then down to the ice rink for some shots from the rocks above.
On to The Lake, one of the most photogenic parts of Central Park. Lots of different views with the lake being almost completely frozen solid.
Finally on a bit furthe to the Reservoir and a few reflection shots on the ice and water.
Time was marching on so we turned back as we were meeting Rod, a friend from Ilford (Harman) for dinner.

We walked back along 5th Avenue and shortly after starting down it I stopped to photograph Trump Towers, a shapely building with some good reflections in the glass frontage and Christmas trees and lights on the lower roof areas.
I then spotted the Rockefeller Building and took the tower again through the branches and Christmas lights. It was twilight so may be better than the pitch black night shot I took a couple of weeks ago.

The day yielded 21 rolls of images. Lots of gaps in my picture library have been filled.
That's what I call a good day! To make it even better we went to dinner at the Heartland Brewery in Union Square and the Sumatra Porter was excellent!
Dave Butcher

No comments:

Post a Comment