Saturday 14 April 2012

Castles and Coast

Today started with snow flurries and a cold day in Berwick.

After a quick wander around Berwick we headed for Bamburgh for the castle, rocks and sand dunes. It started dull but very quickly cleared and had me running back to the car for my camera gear, foolishly left as I scouted the beach.

It was high tide and windy so the waves were crashing over Harkness Rocks. Jolly impressive! Bamburgh Castle was in the background but difficult to get the angle I wanted on the shot for fear of being washed away!

After shots of Bamburgh Castle from the sand dunes we headed for Dunstanburgh and another castle.

The tide was still high and needed care among the rocks but I wanted wet rocks in my foreground so took my chances. Blue sky here but it was heavy rain by the time we had walked around to the Craster side. An April shower!

Called in at Beadnell on the way back. Clear blue sky again. Nice light on the old lime kilns behind the small harbour but low tide so just unattractive mud as foreground. One to go back for.

Late lunch at the Craster Arms here and Black Sheep Bitter on good form.

Last stop was Spittal Point in Berwick. A beach opposite the lighthouse on the breakwater. It was low tide so I could walk out pretty close for panoramics of the lighthouse and waves.

Another good day. Sorry forgot to take any snaps on mobile phone, just 8 rolls of Ilford FP4 120 film. Will take a few weeks to get to them as still a big backlog.

Tomorrow we go north into Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment