Wednesday 25 August 2010

Windy Day in the Peak District

I was in the Gallery in the Gardens in Buxton yesterday and walked the 12 mile round trip, as usual. It felt very autumnal - the first time for several months that I have needed 3 layers and a windproof to keep warm. Clear as a bell on the way in, fast moving clouds but no rain. Lots of heavy rain during the day while I was in the Gallery. Walking home was interesting. It stayed dry except for a few spots of rain so didn't need waterproofs but it was so windy. At one point on the route the old single track road I follow for part of the way passes between a narrow passage in the rocks. We have nicknamed this Windy Gap because it is often windy here. However, yesterday was exceptional. The wind was continuous, not gusting, and was strong enough to ripple my cheeks as I tried to walk against it. I wished I had my wind speed meter as I suspect it was way over gale force (from 36mph) and probably around 50 mph. Fortunately, it was just for 100 yards and then it was back to being just a strong wind. Made it interesting though. It's quite cool today and has been since Monday, looks like the summer has gone and we are into the autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment